Aces and Faces Video Poker
Aces and Faces is one of the most popular video poker formats. It offers enhanced payouts for 4-of-a-kind hands consisting of aces and face cards.
Super simple to play, Aces and Faces video poker has a high RTP of over 99%, which is better than most video poker formats and casino games overall.
In our complete guide to Aces and Faces video poker, we look at how to play, where to play, and how to use strategy to boost your winning chances.
Best Aces and Faces Online Casinos
How to Play Aces and Faces
The aim of Aces and Faces is to create the best possible 5-card poker hand. The better the hand, the better the payout.
Aces and Faces Hand Rankings
Here’s a full overview of winning hands in Aces and Faces video poker:
- Pair of Jacks or Better – Two matching picture cards. For example, queen of hearts and queen of diamonds.
- Two Pair – Two pairs of matching picture cards. For example, a pair of jacks and a pair of kings.
- Three of a kind – Three cards of the same value. For example, three 8s.
- Straight – Five cards that have values that run consecutively. They don’t all have to be of the same suit. For example, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 of any suit.
- Flush – Five cards of the same suit. For example, 2, 4, 7, 9 and Q, all hearts.
- Full House – This hand contains a 3-of-a-kind combination and a pair. For example, 3 sixes plus 2 queens is a Full House.
- Four of a Kind – Four cards of the same value. For example, four queens.
- Straight Flush – This is a straight where all the cards are also the same suit. For example, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 of clubs.
- Royal Flush – The premium hand is a 10, J, Q, K, A combination with all the cards being the same suit.
Aces and Faces RTP & Payouts
If you’re playing the classic 8/5 version of Aces and Faces video poker, the game’s return to player rate (RTP) is just over 99%.
This compares favorably with many other casino games, such as American Roulette with an RTP of 94.5% or the average online slot with about 96%.
Here’s a full paytable of Aces and Faces, shown in coins. As always, payouts are best when you’re betting the maximum of 5 coins.
|Hand||Prize in coins|
|4 Kings, Queens or Jacks||40|
|Four of a kind 2s to 10s||25|
|Three of a Kind||3|
|Pair of J, Q, K, OR A||2|
Aces and Faces Strategy
Aces and Faces video poker isn’t a game of total luck. It’s possible to use strategy to boost your winning opportunities.
Like in most video pokers, in Aces and Faces it’s usually incorrect to break up a made hand.
There is a single exception. If you are one card away from landing a Royal Flush. Then, it can be worth gambling by discarding a low-value hand and going for the big payout.
For example, you’ve been dealt 7c-Jc-Qc-Kc-Ac. That gives you a made flush. It is worth discarding the 7c in the hope of hitting the 10c to land the 800x jackpot payout.
In short, if you’re dealt winning cards, hold them. Unless you’re just a single card away from hitting the jackpot with a Royal Flush.
Pros & Cons of Aces and Faces
Aces and Faces’ RTP of over 99% is impressive. It’s not the highest paying Video Poker variant by RTP, but it’s still far ahead of other casino games.
5-coin stakes are preferred every time for max payouts, and the game has no Wild cards. Still, by applying the proper strategy you can expect solid returns from this game.
- It’s a very simple game and easy to play
- Use strategy to boost your chances
- RTP of over 99% is superior to most other casino games
- No wild cards
- For max 800x Royal Flush payout you need to play 5-coin stakes
The lucrative 800x bet max payout is only possible by staking 5 coins, meaning more money invested per game round.
However, this risk is generally worth it because maximum coin bets increase all payouts across the board.
Aces and Faces Alternatives
Aces and Faces is a great video poker format but it has a higher barrier of entry. That’s because the higher paying winning hands require rare hand combinations.
In Jacks or Better, it’s easier to form winning hands because you can win with a pair of jacks at a minimum. Deuces Wild turns all 2’s into wild cards, creating a similar effect.
Explore different variants to find ones that best match your taste.
Jacks or Better
A game that’s easy to play, offers an element of strategy and has an RTP of 99% is always going to be popular.
Aces and Faces ticks all those boxes. It’s easy to see why it’s become such a favorite with online and land casino players.
The game is a bit higher in volatility compared to the more beginner-friendly Jacks or Better or Deuces Wild, but Aces and Faces’ enhanced payouts can make it worth your while.
What is the Aces and Faces Video Poker RTP?
If you’re playing the common 8/5 version of Aces and Faces, the RTP is 99%. This figure compares very favorably to most other casino games like roulette and slots.
Can you play Aces and Faces Video Poker for free?
Yes, you’ll find free play versions of Aces and Faces at many online casinos. If you’re new to video poker, it’s worth playing a few hands for free just to get used to the mechanics of the game.
What is the top prize in Aces and Faces Better Video Poker?
Like all forms of video poker, the hand you’re really hoping to see is a Royal Flush. If you’re playing at the maximum 5-coin level, it delivers an 800x prize. At lower coin levels, the payout is 500x.
Is Aces and Faces the best form of video poker?
It’s all down to personal preference. With its ease of play, impressive RTP and strategy element, Aces and Faces is a popular video poker variant with many players. But, it’s impossible to objective say it’s the best.